Thursday 30 August 2012

Worth a read

Shantaram

It's a book that took me several years to truly get through. No, not because it is overly profound or so " heavy" that I couldn't handle its content. Simply because it is a gargantuan read and I lost the first two copies of it that I attempted to read while travelling, a mind numbingly frustrating experience when your really engaged in a book.

Now that I have read the book however I can say it is a phenomenal read. I've read more than my fair share of books and for some reason this one has stuck with me. Thats why it warrants a blog post and the others don't. The story is based upon fact and then heavily, wondrously embellished. I think this is great because the truth is always less exciting then what we imagine it could be.

It details a period of the life of its author, Gregory David Roberts. A convicted felon who illegally immigrated to India and led an extremely colorful life from there on. I won't go on to explain the story as it would be an absolute essay to give the specifics of the thousand page behemoth of a story. Rest assured however that it is an extremely accessible read and although can be philosophical, stays grounded enough to be a good story.

I thoroughly recommend this to anyone who has far more spare time than anyone these days should, such as an arts student like myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment