Friday 2 November 2012

The Intouchables

When it comes to film appreciation I can often lean towards being a touch Neanderthal. I look to the awe of the cinema most often so that I can be easily entertained by pieces of film with little or no cognitive or spiritual value. Bright lights, fast cars, loud explosions, pretty girls and crude humour- the elements of a quality viewing.

As such it was a leap of faith of huge proportions for me to take my mothers viewing advice and recently watch a movie called "The Intouchables." There are several reasons why this movie was a leap of faith. Firstly, it is a sentimental film, recommended by my mother, secondly it is a foreign language film and finally it was played at the Gold Coast Arts Centre, notorious for its art house film options.

Against my better judgement I went to see this strange foreign language film. I was pleasantly surprised. What followed was possibly the most genuine and heartwarming story I have ever seen.

The film follows he relationship of two men. Driss and Philippe. Driss is a layabout, ex-convict 20 something year old and Philippe is a tetraplegic millionaire. Driss applies to be Philippes caretaker simply to fulfill his state benefit looking for work requirements and much to his surprise, Philippe decides to give him a trial. As one would expect the movie progresses and Philippe and Driss build a strong relationship as friends. What made this movie was in part the acting and in part the script. The character of Driss pushes his luck almost to the point where he puts the audience offside but then brings them back with humour and good will. Philippe starts as a patient and wise if disabled man with seemingly all the power in the relationship between him and Driss. Throughout the film the cracks in his confidence and demeanour show the toll that his disability has taken on him mentally.

It all seems like a bit of a fairytale, and perhaps it is a bit too optimistic for the average person. THe turning point of this film, the real kicker that sold it to me was this. It is a true story. With that I think I can thoroughly recommend this film as a heartwarming, comedic, feel good movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment